Apple recently offered you a new way to personalize your iPhone. With widgets you can see useful information directly from the home screen or the lock screen. Currently, there are widgets that display your favorite photo albums, the best news of the day, upcoming events on your calendar, and more. Here’s how to add, edit and create widgets on your iPhone to customize your home screen.
How to add widgets on your iPhone
To add widgets on your iPhone, tap and hold an empty area of your home screen until your apps are smoothed out. Then click the plus sign in the upper left corner of your screen. Next, select the widget, select the size, and click Add Widget. Finally, click Done.
- On your iPhone, go to the home screen. You can do this by swiping from the bottom of your screen on an iPhone X or a newer model. If you have an old iPhone, you can switch to the home screen by pressing the home button at the bottom of your screen.
- Then tap and hold the empty space on your home screen until the apps flash..
- Then, click the plus sign. You will see this in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Then select the widget to add. You can scroll down to find more widgets. You can also add more widgets to your iPhone by downloading new apps.
- Next, select the widget size. You can swipe right or left to see all the different size options.
- Then click Add Widget. The widget appears on your home screen.
- Finally, click Done. You will see this in the upper right corner of your screen.
Once you have added the widget to your iPhone, you can drag and drop it to a new location on your home screen and then select Edit the home screen.
You can also drag the widget to the left side of your screen to add it to your current display so you can access it without unlocking your iPhone.
How to set widgets on iPhone
To configure widgets on your iPhone, click and hold the widget, select it Edit the widget, and then tap the data you want to change. However, many widgets do not allow you to change any settings, while others only allow you to configure one or two settings.
How to install widgets on your iPhone
To save space on your iPhone’s home screen, you can tap and hold widgets and select one. Edit the home screen. Then drag the widget over another widget of the same size. Finally, click Done.
After installing the widget stack, you can scroll up and down to scroll through your widgets. However, you can only add up to 10 widgets to a stack.
How to edit your widget stack
To edit your widget stack, press and hold the stack, and then tap Stack editing. You can then re-order the widgets by dragging and dropping the widget by clicking the minus sign in the top left corner and enabling or disabling the Smart Rotate and Widget suggestions.
By activating Smart Rotation, your iPhone will automatically rotate the widgets on your stack to show you the appropriate widgets based on your activity, time and location. With Widget Offer, your iPhone automatically adds and removes widgets depending on the context.
You can also click on any widget in the stack to change its settings.
How to create your own custom widgets
To create your own widgets, download the Widgetsmith app. Then open the app, select the widget size and adjust it. Next, add the Widgetsmith widget to your home screen, press and hold it, select Edit the widgetand select the widget you created.
- Open Widgetsmith app on your iPhone. You can download this free app for your iPhone or iPad below Apple Store App Store.
- Then select the widget size. You can either click Add a widget or edit the default widget directly by clicking on it.
- Next, click the widget preview.
- Then select the type of widget you want to create. You can create many widgets for free, including calendars, clocks, step calculators and more. However, you need to buy the app to use any widgets or styles that have a lock icon in the top right corner.
- Next, customize your widget. To adjust the font, color, background image, text, etc., click one of the table bars at the bottom of your screen.
- Then click the back button. You will see this in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Next, click Save. If the preview widget doesn’t look right, you can tap it to go back and make additional edits.
- Then add the Widgetsmith widget to your home screen. You can do this by clicking and saving free space on your home screen. When the apps are blinking, click the plus sign in the upper left corner of your screen. Then scroll down and select Widgetsmith. Finally, select the size of the widget you created and click on it Add Widget.
- Next, click and hold the widget and select it Edit the widget.
- Then click the widget number.
- Finally, select the number of the widget you created.
Once you know how to add widgets to your home screen, check out our article on it How to hide apps on iPhone to make it even more adaptable.
The Tech Chips editors choose the products and services we write about. When you purchase through our links, we may charge a commission.