It is important to change your default WiFi name and password for security reasons. Your WiFi’s default password is not strong enough to protect you from hackers, who can detect or guess your login information and steal your personal information (such as your bank details). Additionally, it’s easy to remember when you create your own WiFi password. Here’s how to change the WiFi network name and password on your Windows 10 or Mac computer.
Before you start:
Before changing your WiFi name and password, you need to log in to your router. That means you need to be connected to your WiFi network and know your router’s IP address and its username and password.
If you forget your WiFi password, you can find it on any computer connected to that wireless network. Check out our step-by-step guides How to find your wifi password on windows 10 system And How to find passwords on Mac.
How To Change Your WiFi Name And Password
To change your WiFi name and password, open a web browser and enter your router’s IP address in the address bar. Then enter your router’s username and password. Finally, search Wireless Enter your new username and password and click Settings Apply Or Save.
- Open a web browser. You can use Chrome, Firefox, Safari or any other web browser.
- Then type in your router’s IP address in the search bar and press Enter. Most routers are unique IP address. So you can try to log in. “192.168.0.1“Or”192.168.1.1”Or“ 10.0.0.1 ”in your browser’s address bar. If they do not work, see our step-by-step guide How to find your router IP address on Windows 10 or Mac.
- Next, enter your router’s username and password and click on it Sign in. Your router username and password are not the same as your WiFi username and password. You can find your router’s username and password printed somewhere on your router or its manual. If not, you can use it too This list Find your router’s default username and password by brand.
- And then click Wireless. You will usually find this in the menu on the left side of your window. This button may have a different name depending on your router. You may need to click on other buttons to find the basic settings of your wireless router.
- Next, change your new WiFi name and / or password. You can usually change your WiFi network in the text box next to “”.Name, or “SSID” (This refers to the service package identifier). To change your WiFi password, you must first select the Security option. If you want to know more about this Which router security option should you choose, See our previous article here.
- Finally, click Apply Or Save. Your changes will not take effect until you click Apply Or Save.
If you are not yet logged in to your router, check out our step-by-step guide How to reset your router. This way, you can reuse your router’s default login credentials to change your WiFi name and password.
The Tech Chips editors choose the products and services we write about. When you make a purchase through our links, we may receive a commission.