How to install and use Apple Pay on your iPhone
Have you ever seen someone swipe their iPhone through a credit card reader to pay for their food or gas? With Apple Pay, you can make non-cash payments from your iPhone in stores, websites, apps and more. Plus, you can use Apple Cash to send money to your friends and family via text message. Here’s everything you need to know to install and use Apple Pay on your iPhone and how to use Apple Cash to send money in the Messages app.
How to install Apple Pay on iPhone
To install Apple Pay on iPhone, go Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay> Add Card> Credit or Debit Card. Then scan your card, enter your information and click agree. Next, confirm your card by entering the code and click Next and To be continued.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Then click Wallet and Apple Pay. It looks like the wallet icon in the middle of the page.
- Next, click Add a card. You may be asked to enter your Apple ID and password. If so, click Next when you’re done.
- Then click Credit or debit card.
- Next, click Continue.
- Then use your camera to scan your card. Place your credit or debit card on a flat surface with your name and numbers at the top. Then place your iPhone on top of your card so that it is in the white box on the screen. You can also tap Enter the card details manually at the bottom of your screen.
- Next, check your information and click Next. You will see a screen with the name and card number. It is a good idea to double-check the accuracy of all your information before moving on.
- Then enter the security code of your card and click Next. You can find the three-digit security code on the back of most cards. You can also enter or confirm your card expiration date at this point.
- Next, click agree. You will see this in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Then select the confirmation method and click Next. You can confirm your card by entering the code via email, text message sent to you or you can call your bank and confirm your account.
- Next, enter the newly activated code and click Next. If you want to confirm your account with a text message, the password can be entered automatically.
- Finally, click Use as default card or Not now. You can always change this setting later. After completing this step, your card will be added to your Apple Pay and you can use it.
You can repeat the above steps to add up to 12 cards on the iPhone 8 or later.
How to use Apple Pay in stores
To use Apple Pay in the store, double-click the sidebar or Home button on your iPhone. So use Touch ID or Face ID to unlock your iPhone. Then, hold your iPhone close to the card reader until you see it Done appear on your screen.
- Double-click the sidebar or home button on your iPhone. If you have an iPhone X or a newer model, press the volume key on the side of your iPhone as opposed to the volume keys. If you have an iPhone 8 or an older model, press the Home button at the bottom of the screen. This will open your default card for Apple Pay.
- Then use Face ID or Touch ID to verify your identity. If you have an iPhone X or a newer model, look at your iPhone to use Face ID. If you have an iPhone 8 or an older model, place your finger on the Home button to use the Touch ID. You can also enter your iPhone code to verify your identity.
- Finally, hold the top of your iPhone over the card reader. Hold your phone until you see it Done and a check icon will appear on your iPhone.
Which stores accept Apple Pay?
Apple Pay is accepted in thousands of stores, restaurants, subway stations and more. You can find out if the store accepts Apple Pay if it has an Apple Pay logo or a contactless payment logo.
Some of the stores that accept Apple Pay are McDonald’s, Pizza Hut and Starbucks. You can also use Apple Pay to buy gas from Chevron, book a flight with United Airlines, and more.
How to use Apple Pay in an app or website
To use Apple Pay on an app or website, just click the Apple Pay button while calculating. Then double-click the sidebar of your iPhone and confirm your identity using your Face ID, Touch ID or password.
If you need to add your shipping address or other contact information, Apple Pay will remember it, so you don’t have to enter it again.
Note: If you have any problems entering your data into the app, you can go for it Settings> Wallet & Apple Pay and scroll down to enter your name, shipping address, email address, and phone number below Transaction defaults.
How to send money with Apple Cash
To send money via Apple Pay in iMessage, open it Messaging app. Then press Apple Pay press the button and enter the amount you want to send. Next, click Pay > Send. Finally, confirm your payment via Face ID, Touch ID or passcode.
Note: To establish Apple Cash, you must be at least 18 years old and live in the US. There are no fees for sending money through Apple Cash, but there are restrictions for sending and receiving money. Check out for more information Apple instructions here.
- Open Messaging app.
- Then, open the conversation or start a new conversation.
- Next, click Apple Pay button. You’ll see this just below the text line where you write your messages. It has the Apple logo next to the word “Pay”. If you can’t see it, click the App icon directly to the left of the text bar.
- Then select the amount you want to send. Use plus and minus signs to add or subtract money. You can also display the keyboard to manually enter the dollar amount.
- Next, click Payment. You can also write a message if you want. Then, click Send or the arrow button above.
- Then click To be continued and agree to install Apple Cash.
- Next, send your message. You can do this by clicking the up arrow to the right of the text line.
- Finally, double-click the side button on your iPhone to confirm your payment. Then you need to check your payment with Face ID, Touch ID or enter your iPhone password.
You can add money by going to your Apple Cash account Settings> Wallet & Apple Pay and select the Apple Cash card. Then click Add money under Information schedule. Finally, select an amount and click Appendix.
You can also click Transfer to Bank to send your money to your bank account. Or you can use the money to make purchases with Apple Pay, just like any other card.
If you still haven’t been able to install Apple Pay on your iPhone, check out our guide how to contact Apple Customer Support.
The Tech Chips editors choose the products and services we write about. When you purchase through our links, we may charge a commission.